Just a little ray of sunshine

Just a little ray of sunshine

Sunday, August 9, 2020

August 7th - 8th, 2020: Can I get a pill called discipline?

I'm having such a hard time feeling motivated to write on the weekends. 😫 I'm forcing myself to do it right now, even though I'd rather just veg out and binge watch a show. Because I know it will feel more overwhelming to skip another night and blah blah blah, so here I am. There's my twisted form of self discipline, but I wish there was a pill I could just take when I need a little extra discipline in my life. I know Adam would certainly benefit from it in the food department. The poor man is addicted to all the candy, sweets, and other indulgent food in general. The kids have learned to say "Daddy, don't eat it all before I wake up in the morning" if they're worried about something disappearing that they like too! 😂😂 It's kinda funny because a lot of times he will buy something for me, thinking of me, but also enjoy said item and when all is said and done consumes more of it than me because I cannot consume it at the same rate he can. Like this weekend when he got Dr. Pepper, thinking of me, but drank 75% of the bottle. Self control is non-existent for him, but his mom is the same way so I guess it runs in the family. It's kind of really a problem, but I'm not sure what to do about it, short of having strictly fruits and vegetables in the house for the rest of our lives, which isn't really realistic. Is there a way to learn self-control when it comes to addiction? My gut is that there isn't and it really comes down to not having any of it around, but that's kinda hard when it's food we're talking about. Send help! 🙏

I digress. Here's a recap of the last few days...

Friday:

We woke up in the morning hearing Rowan talking as if he needed help with something. Come to find out he was downstairs by himself on the exercise bike. After Adam retrieved him, I asked him what happened and he said "The problem is, Maeve isn't awake yet, so I went downstairs to work out, and I got stuck, so that's what the problem is..." 😂😂 He doesn't know how to get down off of the exercise bike, so that's why he was stuck. It's not typical for him to go downstairs and stay down there once he sees that no one else is down there yet, so it was a pretty funny start to the morning.

Our hope was to make it to the pool on Friday knowing we'd only have our friend's pool key to ourselves for a few more days, but it didn't end up working out because of Nolan's nap schedule and when the dogs were getting dropped off. A bit of a bummer, but we ended up entertaining ourselves with a little beauty party - I suggested we paint nails, and Maeve agreed adding on hair, make up, and jewelry to the list too. 😂 She's a little fashionista that's for sure. We had a slight mishap while painting nails though, when Rowan insisted he be the one to open one of the bottles of nail polish and hand it off to me, but let go of the brush before I got it in my hand perfectly and blue nail polish ended up on the carpet... 😭😭. Ugh. I'm working on being better about responding more intentionally to difficult situations with my kids instead of just reacting, but I must say, that was a hard moment to fight simply reacting. I reacted and it wasn't my finest moment and poor boyfriend was definitely in tears. 🥺 I felt bad afterwards, because it certainly was an accident on his part, just an unfortunate one. Blah! I'm still trying to get it out and I'm not sure if I will be able to get it out completely or not. In other news, also in the same day, somehow both kids pooped and ended up with poop on their belly (R) and their hands (M) before all was completely cleaned up. Still confused about the belly scenario with Rowan because he pooped in the toilet and then all he did was bend over for me to wipe. Like how does that add up?! Exciting times at the McKarns house!! 🤦🤦 Here's Maeve showing off her rainbow nails (and car tattoos that Rowan earned and has been sharing, cause ya know, gotta balance things out 😂) 👇




As for some legitimate excitement, on Friday night after dinner we went out to try a new frozen custard place, which got our stamp of approval and then.... wait for it.... I actually stayed awake for an entire movie after the kids went to bed!!!! Miracles still happen. We watched the sequel to To All the Boys I've Loved Before and it was also really cute and funny. It brought me back to the teenage dating years and it feels like a lifetime ago when I think about those years. So crazy how life has changed! I'm closer to having a teenager of my own than I am to the years when I was one myself. That... is truly nuts.

I should also mention that when I told Maeve it was time to get ready for bed, she squeezed me and said "I just wanna cuddle with you on the couch, it sounds so good!" 😂😍 Needless to sys, I gave her a few extra minutes of cuddling for saying that. And also, I'm sorry, but watching kids eat ice cream is pretty comical. Rowan really nailed it and just went all in getting every lost drop of his custard, while losing a sizeable portion of it down his shirt and shorts. 😂👌




Saturday:

In the morning, Maeve had her meet the teacher at school and when I was in my bathroom getting ready, she ran in and said "Mommy, it's time for me to shower, put my dress on, do make up, and put jewelry on so I can be a cutie patootie! A cutie patootie for my teacher!!!" 😂😂 Her excitement level was unreal and it stayed that way until we left the building. She literally was bouncing down the hallway with me on our way to find the classroom, holding my hand, saying "I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so excited!" and I heard some staff at the front of the building commenting on how cute her excitement was! 🥰 Her teacher is so cute and young and just loved her excitement too and it seems like she'll be really great. So crazy that in just a couple days this whole new world will start for us!! I did learned that thanks to Covid 19, I do not get to walk her to her class on the first day, which is pretty sad, but luckily she doesn't seem to be nervous about that. She is more than ready to run from under my wing!! A little heartbreaking for me (or maybe a lot 😭), but I'm also really excited for her. 

Adam went off to do some roofing after we got back and the kids played with some bubbles for a while. When Rowan was finished playing, he brought in the bubbles stuff and said "I'm bringing this in because it's windy and I don't want it to go away in the sky" 😂. Cute boy. After Adam got back, I took said cute boy to get a haircut. It should be noted that I have such a bad relationship with Rowan's hair and honestly, I stare at it so often when he's in front of me, because all I ever see when I look at is all the mistakes I've made from haircuts I've given him. They are so apparent because blonde hair is so not forgiving and I can't staaaand it. It doesn't help that I'm a novice when it comes to cutting hair and he literally acts like I'm killing him whenever I give him one. Before we left, I told it was time to go get a haircut and he said "Who's giving me the haircut? Not you? Daddy? Luna? Bear? Zoey? I went to place one time and saw a dog giving a haircut." 🤔 Not sure where that one came from haha, but to the barbershop we went, to fix the last really bad haircut I gave him because I couldn't take looking at his hair anymore. Basically the lady just evened it out and I am kinda set on growing it out for as long as I possibly can and just seeing what happens. It's probably better for me to just not touch it and go get it professionally cut every once in a while. Because quite frankly, he's an angel for complete strangers touching his hair (so annoying 🙄), and they actually know how to do a solid job. The little stinker with his perfect smile after his pleasant haircut experience.... I don't even know what to do with him. 👇



I swapped children and then just Maeve and I went to the pool to practice swimming and it's safe to say I am not cut out for teaching a kid how to swim. The poor girl is a little spastic in the water and is not very good at moving her arms and legs in a controlled way. She's at least made some strides in holding her breath under water and can swim short distances before putting her feet back on the ground, but despite watching YouTube videos on how to teach her it is not working very well for us to follow the methods in those videos. Maybe next year she will just naturally be able to pick it up better. 🤷‍♀️🤞

After dinner, we drove over to get one last snow cone of the season (such a bummer they have to close for good before school starts - I wish they would at least stay open on weekends, but what can you do!). I'm normally the kind of person that discovers a favorite flavor and sticks with it, but it's been kinda fun this summer to try out a lot of different flavors. Maeve is entering the world of experimenting some as well, but Rowan will get his lemonade flavor every single time, no questions asked. The boy likes his lemonade!

Alright, I better stop here because it is late. Today's recap will have to wait till tomorrow. 

But I just have to include this cute photoshoot of Maeve playing cuddling/playing with Nolan. 😍😍 I can't help but feel lots of love for both my biggest and smallest baby looking at these pictures. Nolan loves his big sis! 








Peace and blessings. ✌️

No comments:

Post a Comment