Just a little ray of sunshine

Just a little ray of sunshine

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

August 12th, 2020: Officially a school mom

Oh man! A big day here at the McKarns house. Maeve's first day of Kindergarten! I'm officially a school mom and that's crazy. I set my alarm this morning to wake up even earlier than needed to work out and such and I sweaaaaar it just didn't go off, because I really don't remember turning it off accidentally in a state of delirium. I have been known to do that before instead of hitting snooze, but usually I remember. So unfortunately, Adam woke me up at 6:50am and I wanted Maeve to wake up 10 minutes sooner than that so we were a little rushed. I hate starting off on the wrong foot when it's the first day of something important, so it was kinda stressing me out. We got into the parking lot on time, but of course there were a lot of cars in front of us still looping around the back of the school. I had no idea how long it would take to get through the line and it's so hard to just sit there, when you know your child could technically just open the car door and run into the school themselves. 🤦 So she was in fact late, but it only ended up being by 10 minutes so I guess it could have been worse. Truth be told, because we were rushed and I was too worried about being late, it distracted me from thinking about how I was feeling and I didn't end up crying saying goodbye to her! So that was a major win. I really wanted to keep it together since she wasn't scared, nervous, or sad at all about it. I didn't want my potential sadness to change how excited and eager she was, so luckily we didn't have to worry about that. She gave hugs and kisses to her brothers and me, and she got out of the car and didn't look back. 👏👏

I'm pretty sure I looked at the clock a million times while she was gone, just keeping tabs on the time. 😂 I didn't want to be late again! Rowan did so great without her and just played with cars, told his own little stories to himself while playing, spent some time in the bath just playing with a new little boat he earned, and looked at books. Meanwhile I got to work out, do my scripture study, and make some breakfast for myself. It was a lot quieter without Maeve home, which felt both weird and also kinda nice. Time flew and it was time to pick her up!

The car pool line took 30 minutes to get through and Rowan was complaining that it was taking too long after 1 minute of waiting, so that was fun. He also begged me for the water that I didn't have about 20 times. 🙄 Lesson learned to bring snacks and water or something fun to entertain him with. We've just gotta create our new normal and get in a rhythm with this school life, but we'll get there. Maeve was all smiles getting in the car and she talked about her day like it was great! At first the only thing she said she did was watch Blippi, but eventually I got more out of her later. I'm sure that just stood out to her more because Rowan watches him at home sometimes and she loves screen time. 😏 Right as we were pulling up to our house, I noticed our new letter board was delivered on the door step which was perfect timing because I was hoping to get her 1st day of Kindergarten pics taken after we got home. Unfortunately, it took me a while to cut all the letters off and get them situated on the board, so Maeve started getting cranky that it was taking so long. Sooo she ended up being in a bad mood once I was ready to take the pics and was not really cooperating happily when I wanted to redo her hair and wanted her to put her shoes back on. She kept saying "why does it all have to be so perfect??" and truth be told, maybe I do take it too far sometimes to get everything in order just so I can get the perfect picture. I probably need to be able to let things slide a little when tensions are running high, but it is so hard for me to do that. 😬 I kept trying to tell her that in 20 years she would thank me when she can look back and see what she looked like on her first day of school EVER! She wasn't so convinced... 😂🤷‍♀️ But hey, we got the pictures and no one died so all is well. 👇



Rowan had to get in on the action, holding cars in his hands, because what else would you expect? 😂




I had to take one inside because she was just so squinty outside and I wanted to see her pretty eyes. She's such a beauty if I do say so myself! 

Her teacher sent this one to me that she took at school. Gotta love the face mask! Who knew it'd be the fashion trend of 2020? 😂


Maeve wanted to celebrate kicking off school by watching a movie with popcorn and candy and getting pizza for dinner. So we did just that! In the middle of the movie, things got a little crazy with a pretty intense thunderstorm that came through and we even lost power for a few seconds and had to get the movie going again. We took a break so Maeve could call her Gram and tell her all about school. She also talked to her Grandma before going to bed. Such a momentous day for her!

She was so excited to make her school lunch for tomorrow that she asked me about 5 times if I could help her with it yet - just a little impatient, but her excitement was cute. We got it taken care of after dinner and she was so happy to help load up her lunch box. I think she's pretty thrilled she gets a juice box and apple sauce pouches everyday now. 😂

In other news, our washer was acting funny last night so we had to have a repair man come out tonight and nothing was really wrong with it, which is both a good thing but also kind of annoying to pay $50 for someone to check things out and get it sounding normal again without really fixing it. Oh well, that's life sometimes I guess!

Before I sign off, just a couple little funny comments from Rowan today:

~He asked me if he could jump onto my lap on the couch and I said yes, but then he said "No, I'll hurt your crotch if I do" 😂 - to be fair, he has hurt it before by jumping on me so he's not wrong for playing it safe. It gave me a good laugh! 

~He noticed that his potty seat upstairs had a split in the fabric and he asked what happened. I told him I wasn't really sure exactly how it happened and he said "maybe you threw me on the seat too hard and so I broke it up" 😂😂 - gotta love the little wheels turning in his brain. Sometimes in my haste, he does land on the seat a little abruptly so his logic is honestly pretty sound there. 👌🤣 

And on that funny note, peace and blessings. ✌️

No comments:

Post a Comment