Just a little ray of sunshine

Just a little ray of sunshine

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

July 8th, 2020: 3am conversations

I so wish I could go back in time and be that kind of parent that established a firm rule on Mom and Dad's bed ONLY being for Mom and Dad, no questions asked. I've learned that it's pretty impossible to end up with the proper balance on something like that. Your child learns they can sleep in your bed, and no matter what before you know it, they are coming in the middle of the night more often than they should or than you'd like. But how can you put your foot down when on other nights the answer has been an easy yes? If ONLY I had this hindsight as a parent.

Maeve has definitely gone through periods of being really bad about wanting to sleep in our bed half the night on a regular basis and other periods where it isn't much of an issue. It got really bad a while back and we fought hard to fix that and finally did, yet here we are slowly starting to creep back into her coming in our room in the middle of the night saying she's had bad dreams, like she did last night. I hate it because I'm not the best at thinking clearly in the middle of the night, nor am I willing to put up with much patiently because I do not want to be awake, so it usually never ends well due to her stubbornness! I'm remembering now though that my plan should be to tell her that if she's scared she is always welcome to bring her blanket and pillow in our room and sleep on the floor without waking us up. Glad I could make that mental note for myself again! 😅

Anyway, thanks to the middle of the night shenanigans I had to deal with and the fact that Rowan woke up at 6am and did not seem like he was going to easily settle back to sleep, I ended up not waking up early and staying in bed in hopes to get him settled back to sleep with me. So kind of a rocky start to today but the day still went pretty well, all things considered. We made it to the pool again and it was suuuuper hot and sunny today so it felt really great to be in the water. I've been trying so hard to convince Rowan to jump in the pool, but he is still too scared of going under the water for that split second. I tried to bribe him with chocolate chips today and he still wouldn't go for it. Little booger. However, he did try and convince me to let go of his baby brother and just leave him to his own devices in the water ensuring me "he can swim". I told him "I don't think that will work very well bud" and he said "just try it!" 🤦🙈 - so he said "I know something!" and thought of the next best solution and brought the stroller over to me to strap him in so that I'd have both hands free so he could slide into the water and have me catch him... The kind of game that is usually most fun with a 1 year old 😂. Luckily he's less timid than Maeve and she's jumping in left and right now, so hopefully she'll rub off on him before the summer ends.

It's funny to me because the kids are starting to see the fun in just relaxing sometimes too. They like to take "breaks" every once in a while now to lay in the lounge chairs by the pool and it makes me laugh. During one of these breaks Rowan was laying with me and became very fascinated with my hip bones and kept wanting to touch them. 😂 Kids are so random sometimes!

The definite highlight of the day was Rowan informing us that his penis is getting bigger. 😂😂🙈 The things kids say sometimes! Adam and I couldn't help but laugh. It's a good thing he made us laugh, because he also decided to take every last kids book off the bottom shelf of the bookshelf as well as color all over our rocking chair with sidewalk chalk... 🙄🙄😫

Adam booked not only 1, but *2* (!!!) meetings at work today so that is something to be celebrated! Saying lots of prayers of gratitude to the Big Man upstairs and hoping and praying he can keep up the success!!

I think that's all she wrote for today. I also have no pictures to show for the day other than this picture of Maeve with her I words that she spelled today. And we won't get into the mean mom I turned into during said spelling time when she kept losing focus and would not listen to what I was asking of her. I hate when school time turns ugly - it makes me feel guilty and I need more patience. Must pray for patience. 🙏🙏


Peace and blessings. ✌️

No comments:

Post a Comment