Just a little ray of sunshine

Just a little ray of sunshine

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

January 28th - February 10th, 2021: Dancing, Birthdays, Girls Nights, and Homemade rolls

Behold, the final stretch to get completely caught up. Halle-freakin-lujah! This update starts with January 28th, which was a Thursday, and usually weekdays are pretty basic. But not Thursday, January 28th. That Thursday was anything but basic, and let me tell you why. Rowan pulled out a bag of tortilla chips in the morning and somewhere in his little brain decided that a handful of those chips was especially meaningful. So meaningful that he told me "I'm going to hold these until we get Maeve from school and show them to her" - I laughed and honestly thought he wouldn't have it in him to hold them for 6 hours. When he was still holding them 45 minutes later though, I thought to myself, I better not say a word and just see if he can really pull this off. I mean, it was ridiculous, but also kinda hilarious at the same time, that he even wanted to do it. Preschool time rolled around and he said, "Hey mom, let's do preschool! Oh wait, I'm holding chips, so we can't do preschool. Nevermind!" I laughed and gave him the pass, because I just had to see how this was really going to play out. Soon after, we went upstairs to get dressed and when it was time to put his shirt on and he realized what needed to happen, he was paralyzed and looked at me as if saying, "But what will we do!?" knowing that he couldn't keep the chips in that same hand the whole time.  😂😂🤦 I told him he would need to switch back and forth temporarily to put each arm through and he was cool with that. He then ate his whole lunch with just one hand. My friends, I was astonished, but those chips were in fact still in his hand when Maeve stepped foot in our van in the carpool line. He was dedicated and determined and I applaud him for that. It definitely gave me a good laugh and also gave Maeve a good laugh when I told her that they had been in his hand for 6 hours. She thought he was pretty weird for it, but he showed them to her, shared half of them with her, and eventually they were all gone in their bellies. The sweet boy just needed to share some chips with his sister I guess. 😂🤷

He kinda went next level the following day when he pooped and got mad at me after I flushed it down the toilet and said "But Mommy! I wanted to show it to Maeve!" 😂😱😳 Oh my word, child. I assured him that was disgusting and that Maeve would not care in the slightest to see his poop. I will add here that before said poop got flushed down the toilet, Nolan stuck his hand into it and retrieved some poop. Yep. Poop is a hot commodity around here. 😂😅 Then we went to pick up some ties I ordered for Adam and the boys from Belk in Franklin (it was worth the drive because they were a TOTAL steal - all Mens ties were $6 and all the boys were $2 each! 🙌🙌🙌). To make it more worth our while though, we stopped at Costco since we were close by. I decided to order us all pizza afterward for lunch and we got to the car and Rowan said, "I want to show Daddy my pizza before I eat it". He didn't even care that that would mean waiting to eat it until dinner time. He was so dead set on showing him. I suggested facetiming with him so that he could see it over video and he didn't even go for that! It took explaining to him that we were going to the Pylants' house for dinner that night and meeting Daddy there, so we wouldn't be able to show it to him and eat it right then, so we'd have to just save the pizza to eat the next day in that case -- for him to finally budge and accept the facetiming option. Ironically, once we had Adam on videochat, Rowan would not hardly crack a smile or say a word to him about his pizza. 😂🤔 He might be the weirdest child I've birthed...! But it's also kinda heartwarming that the things he loves most - chips, poop, and pizza (yep) 🙈 - he has to share with the people he loves most - Maeve and Daddy. 🥰

Carrying on -- Friday was also a momentous day because Maeve had her first ever (trial) dance class! It was so fun for me to see her put on a leotard, tights, and tutu more than just for fun! This girl was born to dance. She was SO excited to try out this class and was ready to sign up for it when it was over. It was a ballet/tap combo class and she cracked me up by continuing to refer to it as "tip tapping" 😂😂. We're going to do some trial classes at another studio this week, which is actually significantly cheaper, so I really hope that we like the vibe and teachers of this place more!! 🤞 

Friday night we hung out with the Pylants at their house. We had a delish asiago chicken pasta dish and some homemade rolls that were 👌👌 and the adults played some more Slendor while the kids all played upstairs. Amanda also got a key lime pie, Adam's fav, knowing it was his birthday the next day. Key lime pie isn't exactly my favorite, but this one was so good! It was a fun night as always!! 

Saturday the 30th was Adam's birthday. 33 years young! 😉 It was pretty cool that it fell on Saturday, but ironically work was SO busy that week with some deadlines that he had a bunch of work to do that day, which usually never happens. Since we couldn't dedicate the whole day to celebrating, he decided to hold off until the next Saturday. But I did let him sleep in that morning and we were able to go out to lunch with his Quality RRC boss and wife, on them, as a birthday treat. We got Indian food, which we love and hadn't gotten for a long long time. It did not disappoint! After that, I took the kids over to the Pylants' house so that we would all be out of Adam's hair while he needed to work. Amanda and I vegged watching chick flicks while the kids played, which was awesome. It is not often that I relax and watch a movie during the day! We planned to have Adam meet up with his at a Hibachi restaurant once he was finished with his work. The time rolled around for that and off we went to the restaurant, only to find out it was a 2 hour wait. Access denied! Sooo we decided to try for another Hibachi/sushi place, but the Hibachi area was not operating there and you could only place to go orders, so the men ordered for the adults and the rest of us went back to their house and we made mac and cheese for the kids. Then like an HOUR later the guys showed up with the food. We had no idea it would take 40 minutes for them to get the food after ordering it, so that was about the most anticipated dinner we've ever had.. 😂 We were able to get hibachi and some sushi and it was all really good with lots leftover! It was nice to have those leftovers plus the Indian leftovers to eat off of the next couple days. 🙌 Love me some restaurant leftovers. To humor Adam for his birthday we decided to play Euchre after we ate, which is a card game that he has tried to convince me and my family to play a few times and we've always denied because it sounded too complicated. We dedicated ourselves to trying to figure it out, and I will admit that once we got going, it wasn't too complicated in the end and we all understood what was going on. Dare I say, it was actually pretty fun too. A birthday miracle for him - someone playing that game with him and actually liking it! 🤣

Something I forgot to mention in my last post is that basically since 2021 started, I have been doing this new work out program led by a different chick on Youtube that posts free work outs. It was recommended to me on Youtube based on my subscription to Kristin Andrus, but this chick's name is Caroline Girvan and she is buff! Definitely next level. She lifts anywhere between 18 lbs - 33lbs x 2 dumbbells. My jaw about dropped when I first saw those numbers, but I have realized that I can also meet here with with those weight amounts on some of the moves. There are still some that I have to go lower on, but I have definitely been pushing myself!! Things are ramping up around here. It's kicking my trash and most days I am more sore than I've ever been and I love that. Sometimes I act like it's hurting and Rowan says "What Mommy? Does it burn?" 😂 Why yes, bud, yes it does. These workouts are mostly successful, except for the moments when I'm trying to do moves on the floor and Nolan is done eating breakfast so he's loose and is either crawling right underneath me when I do planks or attempting to sit on top of me with his butt in my face when I'm laying on my back. Most of the time he wins and I end up crushed by him, so I have a number of do-overs before all is said and done. 😂🤦 Gotta love life with mobile babies. 

Thursday Feb. 4th was Maeve's 100th day of school, so she got to dress up like a cute little Grandma. It was pretty funny to see her with silver hair and granny glasses on. She fit the part the for sure! The Usborne books I got were delivered that day too!! I threw a party for a friend and earned a bunch of free and half priced books. I was quite pleased with how many I was able to get and these books are SO cute and fun!! The kids scored some awesome activity books, sticker books, some good reading books with life lessons, and some other fun books that have repositional stickers and stuff like that. Rowan even got a wind up race car book that has a few tracks on it and these wind up cars go around the tracks like nobody's business. Honestly, I think it's pretty cool too! 😂 He's obsessed. 

Okay, confession - I wrote this whole part above 👆👆 on the 8th, with the intention to finish the post the next day and here we are 8 days later on the 16th. I just can't fully get it together here. I've lost my drive a little bit - but it's in part because I've already let myself behind and it always feels like "what's one more day?" when nighttime comes and another episode of some show is calling my name or something else is going on. 🤦 Shame on me!! So help me if I don't get myself caught up in the next two days! 

So I'm going to keep chugging along sharing noteworthy stuff from Feb. 5th through today, the 16th. 

Friday Feb. 5th, I about had a heart attack when I went into Nolan's room after his all too short nap. I let him cry for a bit when he woke up, because I was hoping he'd fall back asleep. Eventually his cry started to sound different, like maybe he'd hurt himself, so I went to see what happened and found him with blood pouring out of his nose! Somehow he hurt himself and gave himself a bloody nose, but it slowed pretty quick thankfully. It gave me some serious flashbacks though to the 2 bloody messes Rowan had in his crib during his days with ITP. 😱 And then I was reminded that Rowan was 15 months old when he got diagnosed and Nolan is 1 month away from being that age!! So crazy. For a minute, I was worried on the inside thinking "oh man, here we go again!" - but the chances of that are slim (supposedly - it's a rare disease so who actually even knows...). I will say though interestingly enough, in the last 8 days he's had like 4 other times where he's hurt himself and ended up with some pretty bad mouth bleeds. 😳 So here we go, time to embrace the constant bumps and bruises from a clumsy baby transitioning to a toddler. Although heaven knows this boy doesn't want to walk anytime soon! 

ANYWHO, moving on, we went to Amanda's house for a playdate in the afternoon, but stopped at Sonic on our way over to get her her favorite Sonic blast because the poor lady has just had it rough lately. She recently found out her sister got diagnosed with a pretty aggressive form of stomach cancer and then to top it off, she found out the night before this playdate that her youngest son tested positive for the same syndrome that her other son has - which has been stressful and involved lots of seizures, tumor growths, and eye problems. To think she might end up going through all that same stuff with another child now too is just so overwhelming!! I had to do what I could to give her a little boost. I just feel so bad! When it rains it seriously pours. She also just texted me and found out that her sister's cancer is even more aggressive than they thought and has spread to her lymph nodes. UGH. Cancer is the worst. But we had a good time chatting during our playdate about the sad stuff and some happy stuff too to keep it balanced out. Ironically, that night she had already planned a girls night with a bunch of other girls and I'm not sure if she was wishing that hadn't already been planned or excited to have some needed girl time to cheer her up, but I think it ended up being good for her to keep her mind off everything for a little while! So I helped her prep some food for it and then took the kids home and had some quick dinner and went back over there. It was a really fun girls night with a few other girls I already knew from some Bachelor viewing parties that I went do during Peter's season of the Bachelor, but then also some girls I didn't know that were really nice! Lots of funny conversation, but also lots of heavy conversation that left me feeling like this world is a total mess and way too much disturbing stuff goes on in schools and behind closed doors in homes of even LDS families. I am kinda terrified for my kids to get older and be exposed to some potentially terrible stuff. 😳😱 And also some of the food/treats that were brought were so good, I was dying. Like homemade brookies (brownie and cookie mixed) and this cinnamon roll sheet cake. To die for!! Seriously what dreams are made of. SO GOOD. 

Saturday Feb. 6th, we celebrated Adam's birthday more as a family in the evening, so while he was gone roofing I made some healthy homemade gummy bears. He has a serious addiction to candy and since he is trying to lose weight right now I figured I needed to come up with some healthier options that still feel like candy. I made some with lime juice, lemon juice, cherry juice, and orange juice. The cherry and orange ones were not very good, but the lime and lemon ones were WAY better! Nice and sour, the way we like it. So that was a hit, which I was happy about, considering the sour patch grapes were kinda a bust (though I brought those to Amanda's girls night and they were a hit there! 🙌). I also helped the kids make cute birthday cards for Adam and Rowan did so good with his! It is fun that he's old enough to join in the card making now. I will say - I wish I could say that Saturday was all fun and games and we had a great birthday celebration that was purely fun, but unfortunately the kids were not very well behaved that day and we had a couple fiascos that were not so pretty. Like the fact that Rowan managed to slap me before Adam got home from roofing and then also the fact that the kids had to fight over who sat where and got which plate SO MUCH before we could sit down and eat dinner that Adam got annoyed enough to walk away from his own birthday dinner - yeah, I was not too happy about that. 🤬 Like can't we keep the peace and happiness when we're having a fun birthday celebration!?! Why is that so much to ask!? That's what I was asking myself more than once that day and probably said it out loud too. So uh, yeah, there were a few ugly hiccups and some ugly tears, but we're all still alive and still love each other so that's something. We were able to turn the corner enough to share some laughs while he opened his cards and presents and enjoyed some key lime pie - his request, since he enjoyed it at the Pylant's house so much, had to have round 2. Go Amanda! In addition to the gummy bears, he got some new ties that he liked, so that was good too. 

Sunday Feb. 7th, I woke up in the morning and my throat was hurting so I ended up sleeping in and missing our Zoom sacrament meeting. I later asked Adam if the kids asked why I wasn't there and he said "yep, and I told them it's cause you're going inactive and that it happens to people sometimes. They start to hate Jesus and that's the end of that." 😂🤦 Oh my, leave it to him to always throw in a good joke. He definitely did not actually say that to them. The only other noteworthy thing about Sunday was that I managed to make some copycat Texas Roadhouse rolls and they did not disappoint! They were pretty spot on and were even better the next day. I also made the homemade cinnamon honey butter and it was divine. It's really fun to practice all this bread baking, but I am going to get fat soon! I plan on sticking to healthier recipes though for the most part. I can't splurge every time! 

I don't have any notes written down for Monday, so it must have been pretty low key, but Tuesday Feb. 9th I wrote down a couple funny things that the kids said. Rowan and I were reading one of those early reader books so each page just said "I see the _____" - fill in the blank with lots of different places like police station, library, grocery store, etc. and of course there were pictures of each place so he could basically read it himself. He cracked me up though because when he got to the page where there was a grocery store, he said "I see the store station" 😂😂 - granted the page before had a police station on it, so I guess he was just stuck on the station part of it. It was pretty funny! Maeve sure had me laughing too when I put her to bed and she noticed she had forgotten to put her baby in jammies. She said, "I keep forgetting to put my baby in jammies! Ugh. I should write on a sticky note to do it and put it on my dresser where my jammies are so I will remember to do it when I put my own jammies on!" 😂😂 Bless her smart little heart. A solid idea, I'll give that to her! I also have to mention that on Tuesday night I had youth activities and Jessica, the YW president, brought a box of fruit by the foots as a treat. Bring me back! I had to snag one because it has been years and years since I had one! 

Wednesday Feb. 10th, I finally broke down and went to the doctor over my cold sores. I have had them for like a couple months now and I just cannot get them to completely go away!! They are so ugly and it is driving me nuts. Like thank goodness for covid and masks, but still, there are situations where I'm with people and my mouth is not covered and it makes me feel self conscious. Basically, the doc thinks they may not even be cold sores, so she gave me anti-fungal medicine to try instead, but that has made them worse so YAY. Who knows when my mouth will ever look normal again. 🙄 Anyway, I took advantage of being out and also did a Walmart run with the boys. It was actually really nice weather that day and on our way to pick up Maeve from school, Rowan gave me the idea to clean the van. My children are smarter than me sometimes! I had been needing to clean it for awhile but it is so hard to stomach cleaning it when it's so cold outside, so I told myself I'd take advantage of a warmer day. I'm so glad my 3 year old can remind me of my own ideas that he's never even heard. 😂 As I was walking outside with the vacuum up walked Maeve's little friend Bella and her mom from our ward - they live in neighborhood next door. After chatting for a few minutes, Maeve ended up going back to their house with them while I cleaned the van. Man it felt so great to get that done! It was long overdue!! 

Alright, for the sake of time, I have to stop here, but I am FORCING myself to write about the last week tomorrow night so that I will be officially caught up. Once and for all I just have to do it. 

Before I share a bunch of pics, I have some other miscellaneous laughs to share from the last couple weeks: 

~One morning while getting Maeve ready for school, Rowan yelled out to me as he awoke from his sleep as if the world had ended, "Mommy! Mommy! Your forgot to give me my vitamin!" (referencing the night before) 😂😂🤦

~Showing me a package that we got from off the front porch, Rowan asked, "Is this for Daddy McKarns?" 😂😂

~Rowan was singing the clothing song for his preschool clothing unit (the unit that we've been on for weeks and weeks now because I've been a total slacker since things got crazy with Covid and then the holidays 🙈) and he came up with some lovely verse renditions... 
        -- the first one he prefaced by saying "This is a               dangerous one, but not really dangerous ...                 'this is the way we put on our dangerous hat,             put on our dangerous hat. This is the way we             put on our dangerous hat so early in the                     morning.'" 😂😂 I laughed and wrote it down             so I would remember to write it here, but                   then he followed that with...
        -- "'This is the way we put on our face, put on                 our face, put on our face. This is the way we               put on our face so early in the morning.' Is                 that a funny one Mom? Write that down!" 😂            😂 
        --"This is the way we put on our toe, put on our             toe, put on our toe. This is the way we put on             our toe so early in the morning." which was               sung while putting his foot in Nolan's face,                 while Nolan opened his mouth so wide so he             could try and eat his toes.. 😂😂🤦

~One morning I had put some blueberries on a waffle I was eating for breakfast and I had to microwave it again with the blueberries on it because it had already cooled down too much and it made one of the blueberries burst so it was kinda wrinkly looking. Rowan saw it and said, "Is that a spider?" 😂😳 Little does he know, I don't eat spiders.

~Another morning, I was eating some yogurt with strawberries in it and since it was mixed together, the strawberries weren't totally visible. Rowan saw the red and said, "Is that blood?" 😳 Um... what? What kind of sick person does he think I am?? 😂🤦 

~Nolan's new favorite thing to do is put fingernail clippers in our shoes that sit on the tray by the front door. Adam has found them in his a few times and the other day I was trying to put Rowan's shoes on and he said "Mom, it's not working, there's something in there" and sure enough, it was a pair of clippers. 😂😂 Too funny! 

Aaaaaand now for some pictures: 

Here's Rowan holding his chips while eating lunch that he held for 6 hours so he could show them to Maeve after school... And also here's a funny video about that too. https://youtu.be/REMeEfcqoSw 😂

This cracked me up when I saw the baby hanging with the jumprope around its neck... Pretty sure that was a total coincidence 😂

Excited before her first trial dance class! 

Rowan's creative expression on a card he made 😂😂... At least the long lines are consistent! 

I found him with both legs out in the straddle position with each hand grabbing a foot and it was sooo hilarious. Of course I didn't have my phone out and he wouldn't do it again, but this is the best I got! 😍

He grabbed the hat and put it on himself backwards all on his own 😂😂

This what Rowan does when I ask for a normal picture. 😂🤦 He has no normal bones in his body so I shouldn't have been surprised! 

The granny glasses, princess dress, jean jacket, and that face. On point! 😂

My ministering sister brought me over some Valentines treats. Such a cute little heart basket! 

😂

I'm not really sure what's going on here, but it had to be documented. 😂😂

Sour patch grapes. Took a lot of time to roll each one around in the Jello powder and they still aren't that pretty! 😂

He looks like Eleven minus the fact that it is marker instead of blood 😂

Birthday celebration for the big 33 year old! Nolan was too tired and cranky to stay up for it, so poor boy missed the pic. 

Sometimes the outtakes are just too good! 😂


Texas roadhouse rolls! 😍

He loved this preschool activity so much he said "That was incredible! Let's do it again when it's not preschool!" 😂😂

Just chilling slanted courtesy of big bro like it's nothing 😂

Saw this on FB and it made me laugh 😂😂

100th day of school photo of Maeve's class! 

My cute 100 year old 😍

Maeve's teacher sent me this done with an aging app and it gave me a real good laugh!! 😂

From our girls night! Amanda Pylant (the friend I talk about all the time on here) hosted and is in the middle in the green sweater. 

Peace and blessings. ✌️ 




No comments:

Post a Comment