Just a little ray of sunshine

Just a little ray of sunshine

Thursday, November 12, 2020

November 10th - 12th, 2020: You can call me a professional breadmaker

Last night utter exhaustion set in for me as soon as the dinner hour approached, soooo instead of using the evening hours to write a post, Adam gave me a massage and I caught up on the Bachelorette while eating some candy. It doesn't get much better than that, let me tell you! 🙌 Sometimes we all just need some good relaxation time to reinvigorate the soul. So, here goes my update for Tuesday, yesterday, and today. 

Tuesday morning as I was doing some pick up around the house, I found 2 apple peels in the bottom of our blanket basket. 😱 Rowan likes to eat his apple slices down to the peel and then ditch that part, so who knows when he decided to throw two of his peels in that basket, but I am 100% positive he is the culprit. What's gross is that blankets were probably thrown in there on top of those peels the day before when we had no idea the peels were in there. 😳 The joys of mothering small children - you never know what surprises you will find in any given moment! 

Speaking of the devil, Rowan had me laughing while I was upstairs doing some stuff that morning - he was making me some food in his play kitchen to entertain himself while I was busy. I told him I wanted a hamburger, some corn, and some pears, but then he found the hot dog and said "oh what about this hot dog??" I responded "Why don't you make that hot dog for yourself?" and he said, "No, hot dogs are for kids, so it's for you." 😂😂 Glad to know I'm viewed as just another kid in this house by that boy!

We did preschool before picking up Maeve and it's always an adventure - he's either acting like wild animal and having a hard time focusing or he's all in and a total hoot. He loves to purposely sing the Months of the Year song and end it by singing "The 12 months of the month" instead of singing "year" - and then he covers his mouth with his hands, laughs at himself, and says "that's funny". 😂😂 He's learning to recognize his letters though and getting smarter everyday! 

While we were in the carpool line waiting for Maeve, Rowan said to me, referring to himself, "Why is it taking sooooo long to be 5 and go to school??" Poor little boy really just wants to join big sis at school! Bless Maeve's little heart, she also really wants him there and got sad the other day when I had to burst her bubble and let her know that when he goes to Kindergarten, he won't be joining her there, because she'll be in 2nd grade. Poor little girl thought that eventually they'd be in the same class together. 🥰

Tuesday night I had youth activities and for some reason, Maeve always insists that I make her school lunches. For the most part I do anyway, but every now and then Adam will do it. On Tuesday, while I was gone, she just insisted that Adam write down what she wanted in her lunch so that I could make it after I got home. Of course, he didn't want to put it on me, so after she went to bed, he just went downstairs and made it. While he was toasting the bagel she wanted to take, she heard the toaster and said, "what are you doing Daddy?" and he lied through his teeth and said "Oh nothing, just taking the dog out!" 😂😂 Oddly enough, she didn't even question that and went back to bed, but it gave me a good laugh when he told me that. 

Something else that gave me a good laugh that day was Maeve asking, "Mom, do you know what the biggest number in the world is?" and after a few guesses of mine that were "wrong" (a million, infinity, etc.) she said, "It's 100!" 😂🤔

Wednesday was a pretty typical day. Adam worked from home, so I was able to go grocery shopping by myself at 4pm when he was finished for the day, which was nice. It's so much easier and quicker when I don't have to haul the kids! As I mentioned above, after the kids went to bed, the rest of the night was quite enjoyable getting my massage, watching the Bachelorette, and binging on candy. I don't really have much else to mention about the day, except for stuff that made me laugh.

Wednesday laughs:
1. On the way home from school Maeve was telling me that for some reason, she opened her lunch box and the bag her bagel was in was just DRIPPING! She acted so shocked and kept saying "I don't know why because that's never happened before when I haven't had anything liquidy in my lunchbox" - I was perplexed by this myself, but had to laugh when I opened it up after we got home and saw like 4 water droplets on the bag. 😂 It was literally just a tiny bit of condensation and she acted like the whole world as she knew it was different and wouldn't eat the bagel because of it... 🤦‍♀️

2. After telling us about the crazy dripping, she also said "I ate my peas and my piece of candy, but not my grapes" and Rowan replied "Uh oh. You lost your marble!" 😂 We say "you've lost your marbles" a lot to our kids, whenever they're saying something crazy or not making sense. So I guess he thought she was crazy for eating her candy before eating her grapes. It's definitely living on the edge, considering she doesn't get away with that at home! 😜

3. Rowan was eating m&m's as his treat before bed and dropped a green one on the floor and said "can you pick up that green vitamin Dad?" 😂😂

Today was an exciting day because I decided to attempt making melonpan again and actually make the bread dough soft and pillowy like it is supposed to be. I was determined to figure it out, and at one point I was nearly defeated thinking it was a lost cause. But I googled some videos and figured out I needed to just add more water to the dough until it became elastic enough. It was a doozy, but eventually I got it to feel and look right!! And oooooh my goodness, the bread dough came out SO soft and pillowy, it was reminding me of the rolls you get at OCharley's or Texas Roadhouse. 🙌👏👊 My taste buds could hardly believe it because it was night and day from the first time I made it. Unfortunately, the biscuit dough did not cooperate this time and was too dry and crumbly. I tried adding water and also some oil to some of them and it still didn't help. Soooo the end result was still not the prettiest because of that (you wrap that around the bread dough, which is kinda impossible when it's crumbly), which was a bit of a letdown since I was feeling confident that I did so well with the inside part of the melonpan. The crazy part is the first time I made it, the biscuit dough was not like that! The only difference is that last time I used fake butter and this time I used real butter (which it calls for), so explain that one!! Luckily, it had no effect on the taste, so all in all it was a huge momentous victory for me! Feeling pretty professional over here if I'm being honest. 😂 I think I've found my passion in life! Now I'll be adding a kitchen aid, dough scraper, and digital thermometer to my Christmas wish list and I'll be baking all kinds of bread, rolls, etc. into the New Year. 😊 Next up is perfecting my Lion House rolls, which I think I will be able to do now that I figured out how to make the melonpan more soft and pillowy. 🙌

Melonpan takes a long time to make and it's quite the process, so I was working like a mad woman to finish assembling them in time to get them in the oven to rise the second time before picking up Maeve. I cut it super close, so I literally threw on a pair of my booties (quicker to put on) with my workout clothes and prayed that I'd make it in time so I wouldn't have to walk inside her school looking like a train wreck. 😂😅 My prayer was answered because apparently there was no ESP today, so the car rider line was longer than normal and the line was still in full force when I got there. 🙏🙏

Well, that's about all I got. We won't get into how I lost my crap with Maeve tonight and feel like a terrible mother. 😭 I guess it's just balance - a victorious afternoon followed by a disastrous evening. 🤷‍♀️

Here's a few pictures. 

Living the life like the queen that she is 😂

His favorite spot in the house - which is probably why I found the apple peels in there 😂

😍😍

A little rough around the edges cause of the dang biscuit dough, but at least it didn't alter the amazingness of the taste/texture!! 

And for your viewing pleasure, I give you the many talents of Rowan.... 😂

https://youtu.be/G4azBJ72aps


Peace and blessings. ✌️

No comments:

Post a Comment